Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why ability grouping in schools is a mistake

Why ability grouping in schools is a mistake:


Why ability grouping in schools is a mistake

groupings-300x127Many elementary schools to create ability-group classrooms in an attempt to better prepare kids to meet the Common Core State Standards. In the following post, Joanne Yatvin explains why this is a problem. She is a past president of the National Council of Teachers of English and now she supervises student teachers for Portland State University and writes books for teachers.
By Joanne Yatvin
Over 25 years as an elementary school principal my relationships with parents were good.  I was available, I listened, and when complaints or suggestions were reasonable, I acted.  But there was one area where I stubbornly held the line against the wishes of parents and that was the placement of students.  I made clear early on that I would not honor requests for children to be placed with a particular teacher, nor would I would I form ability-based classrooms.  My position was not a matter of showing who was