Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 5, 2013

If You Hate Doing Assessment, You’re Doing it Wrong | toteachornototeach

If You Hate Doing Assessment, You’re Doing it Wrong | toteachornototeach:


If You Hate Doing Assessment, You’re Doing it Wrong

If You Hate Doing Assessment, You’re Doing it Wrong
by Dean Shareski

For many teachers, grading and assessment are the duties of teaching most would rather avoid. I get it. For many these things get in the way of learning in that they are contrived , mandated, artificial and time consuming. My personal evolution with assessment has been
challenging, but as I continue to tweak my workflow, I am discovering that this is a powerfully enjoyable experience. Listed below is the final assessment that I gave to my students.
Tech Tasks
A simple summary and assessment about the quality, consistency and timeliness of your work. Grade yourself between 20-30% percent of the course.
Blogs
Grade yourself between 15-25% Use a rubric or your own standard based on your favorite blogs. Be sure to reference the criteria discussed on the course assignment page.
Mentorship
This will be a challenging one for some of you but the core of this will be your interview with your mentoring teacher. I would like a report that highlights your involvement as well. Grade yourself between 20-30%
Social Learning
This will be about a one page report answering 2 questions: What did I contribute to the learning of others? What