Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lost Apple Core, Part I: Nagging Doubt |

Lost Apple Core, Part I: Nagging Doubt |:


Lost Apple Core, Part I: Nagging Doubt

"The Dame School", 1887. Frederic George Cotman (1850-1920), British landscape, portrait, genre and history painter. Oil on canvas.
“The Dame School”, 1887. Frederic George Cotman (1850-1920), British landscape, portrait, genre and history painter. Oil on canvas.
Recently I was sitting down with a fellow educator discussing the Common Core State Standards and what affect we thought they might have on public schools. I have been on the fence regarding The Core for a while now, not wanting to pass judgment prematurely. My questions to my colleague: Do you think CCSS will simply be a continuation of NCLB policy? Do you believe it will stifle the workshop model of instruction that both you and I are promoting? His response was that since the only way to achieve these standards is to teach in an authentic, learner-centered manner, that the CCSS will ultimately support such teaching practices.
At the moment I felt relieved by his view. I want to believe this as much as the