Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A colleague asks, “Why tax the rich?” « Fred Klonsky

A colleague asks, “Why tax the rich?” « Fred Klonsky:


A colleague asks, “Why tax the rich?”

Fred,
Good speech as always. I am wondering why you believe the “rich” should be the ones to pay our pension? Don’t you think the state should follow through with THEIR promises instead of taking our money? Don’t you think our politicians need to look at government and see what went wrong there? I am concerned if we tax the rich more, they will not spend their money like we need them to. Some of them have also worked hard for their money. Why should they suffer for that? Personally, I would like to see the rich SPEND their money to boost our economy.
Just sayin’…….
-Joanie Heavey
Dear Joanie,
I’m glad you asked. Although we worked together for many years, it isn’t as if we frequently discussed tax policy. Sometimes I assume things that shouldn’t be assumed. And your questions give me an opportunity to explain why a progressive graduated income tax is essential to addressing the state’s economic problems.