Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 15, 2012

My Letter for the Campaign for Our Public Schools « Cooperative Catalyst

My Letter for the Campaign for Our Public Schools « Cooperative Catalyst:


My Letter for the Campaign for Our Public Schools

Dear President Obama and Senators Webb and Warner,
I am a professor of education who helps prepare individuals to be licensed VA school teachers, and who also provides professional development to in-service teachers.  I myself have 5 years of public school (and one year of private) middle school teaching experience in NC schools starting in 1996.  I write to you today as part of a letter writing campaign (Campaign for Our Public Schools) to urge you all to reconsider the direction that the current presidential administration and Congress seem to be continuing along regarding education.
Four years ago, when President Obama was elected, I was overjoyed for I was certain that we would now see the end of the disastrous NCLB-mandated focus on standardized tests as a way to hold schools accountable.  I have always believed that such tests are of low-quality (in that they frequently lack reliability and validity, have cultural and class biases within them, and are, essentially, the lazy/cheapskate approach to finding out what skills, knowledge, and dispositions students have developed).   My joy at Mr. Obama’s election, along with a


My letter for the Campaign for Our Public Schools

by Kristan Morrison in democracy.edu

Dear President Obama and Senators Webb and Warner,

I am a professor of education who helps prepare individuals to be licensed VA school teachers, and who also provides professional development to in-service teachers. I myself have 5 years of public school (and one year of private) middle school teaching experience in NC schools starting in 1996. I write to you today as part of a letter writing campaign (Campaign for Our Public Schools ) to urge you all to reconsider the direction that the current presidential administration and Congress seem to be continuing along regarding education.

Four years ago, when President Obama was elected, I was overjoyed for I was certain that we would now see the end of the disastrous NCLB-mandated focus on standardized tests as a way to hold schools accountable. I have always believed that such tests are of low-quality (in that they frequently lack reliability and validity, have cultural and class biases within them, and are, essentially, the lazy/cheapskate approach to finding out what