Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 7, 2012

The in box. The one hour that they sat on those metal chairs at that Rep meeting, for many, was the only hour that they sat, all day. « Fred Klonsky

The in box. The one hour that they sat on those metal chairs at that Rep meeting, for many, was the only hour that they sat, all day. « Fred Klonsky:


The in box. The one hour that they sat on those metal chairs at that Rep meeting, for many, was the only hour that they sat, all day.

ChalkFace
In your original blog, that Fred linked above, you write: “I really don’t know what else to say at this point. I suppose we can’t expect anything from anyone during an election year, that’s the lesson. But all I know is that there are still children and communities suffering out there and, from an outsider, all I saw the NEA doing was sitting on their asses and passing resolutions. Very quaint, oh so democratic, and weak.”
I am floored. Really.
OK… so I will admit, like Fred, I am an unabashed cheerleader for our union. Unlike Fred, I have only been at this union thing for a few years. My first decade and a half of teaching, my union was simply a safety net. To say that I was ‘un-involved’ with the daily workings of my union is an understatement. As I became more involved with activism and took it online, I heard many