Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 17, 2012

What teachers don’t need (but are getting anyway) - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

What teachers don’t need (but are getting anyway) - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post:


What teachers don’t need (but are getting anyway)

This was written by Paul Thomas, an associate professor of education at Furman University in South Carolina. A version of this first appeared on dailykos.com.

By Paul Thomas
Just days ago, I completed my 28th year as a teacher — 18 as a high school teacher of English followed by 10 years as a professor of education.
Read full article >>

The (college) kids are alright

This was written by Stephen Whittaker, a professor of rhetoric at The University of Scranton.

By Stephen E. Whittaker
For three decades, I have taught rhetoric in a university honors program, so I see the academic cream of the crop. Many of my former students today are doctors, lawyers, educators, managers, editors and non-profit leaders, and when I see them at reunions, they strike me as articulate, humane and conscientious.
Read full article >>