Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

School Tech Connect: The Standard Writer's Block Post

School Tech Connect: The Standard Writer's Block Post:

The Standard Writer's Block Post

I have a writing assignment for my other job, and it's given me the worst case of writer's block. There's nothing like a deadline and an assigned topic to bring out the weird almost-human voice that plagues my professional writing.

It reminds me of the ten years of English teaching I did before I became a workshop-oriented person. Here's a topic- write about it. Or, in the differentiated world: Here's a list of topics-- write about one of them. Or, in the 21st Century differentiated world: Here's a list of topics-- write about one of them or make a photo story, or create a Twitter-based drama about one of them.

Here are things that are on my mind instead. Maybe if I just list them I'll be able to get back to work on my project.

This is good; I'm sorry I missed it when Susan Ohanian first wrote it. When I was teaching writing, I tried to show and tell kids that good writing requires a hugely work-intensive struggle, and that the quality of the product is directly related to the amount of one's soul invested in the struggle. I always hated the worship of the fake

Is This How It's Done?

Is it just me? Or do other people think this is weird?


It's hard to know where people really are on an issue when they operate like this in committee.
via @fklonsky