Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

School Tech Connect: Heartbreaker

School Tech Connect: Heartbreaker:


Heartbreaker

Damn. 70 votes short over in the 39th.

70 votes is ground game. It's people calling up their friends. We didn't do enough for Will Guzzardi and I blame myself. Next time he runs, and I hope there is a next time, we'll be ready to make a more coordinated effort, I'm pretty sure.

If even one colleague today tells me he/she was too busy to vote, I may fly into a Rahm-like rage.

Even Rudy Lozano came right up to the wire. It's disappointing, but there's definitely hope for the future with numbers like this.

Voting Optional

Political activist dog, Scout, on an earlier visit to the beach.
I have lived in Rogers Park since the dawn of time. Tonight I took Scout around the neighborhood and knocked on the door of anyone I know even remotely to get out the vote for my state representative, Kelly Cassidy, who is running against a challenger who holds Rahm's position on charter schools: they're superior.

That was enough for me. I like the original Al Shanker vision of charter schools, but the movement has grown into a vehicle for very, very bad ed policy. Kelly Cassidy's position on the issue is wiggle-roomy but not crazy,  so, I knocked on doors until the polls closed. Most of the people I know here now are dog people--- I know their dogs'