Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 9, 2012

NYC Educator: Big Fat Zero

NYC Educator: Big Fat Zero:


Big Fat Zero

I've never really understood why teachers give zeroes. What's a zero? Is it a test grade? A quiz grade? Is it something to stay up all night and worry about? I don't know, so I've never actually threatened anyone with a zero, let alone given one.

But last year, every once in a while, I'd draw a big zero on a piece of paper, and deposit it on the desk of a student who committed some minor infraction. This year, my students have taken it to an art form. First, they started drawing on the zeros, putting faces on them, and writing comments. Sometimes they'd sign the zero as it made its way from their desk to the next one. On Halloween, one of the zeroes morphed into a pumpkin, painted bright orange. That was my favorite.

Lately, my students have been drawing aliens with zero shaped faces and contributing them. And now, I no longer have to give