Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Peg with Pen: Reflections on National Opt Out Day

Peg with Pen: Reflections on National Opt Out Day:

Reflections on National Opt Out Day



I was proud to be in Denver today. I love the educators inthis state.There were quite a few at National Opt Out Day. During my last few years ofteaching while I supported teachers, there was nothing more amazing then to getto peek in to another Colorado teacher’s classroom. These teachers aresmart. They are creative. They are funny – you have to be to juggle 30or more kids every day. They can be bold. And they have heart. When youget to spend time in a teacher’s classroom, you can feel that heart. I felt that heart again today as wegathered for National Opt Out Day. Imiss it. There’s a lot of sadness thatcomes with fighting corporate education reform. There is the personal sadness in knowing that my teaching daysare