Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Time-Traveling Teacher - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Time-Traveling Teacher - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher:

Time-Traveling Teacher

I am deep into Stephen King's latest novel, 11/22/63--and loving it. I was a huge Stephen King fan in my 20s, gobbling up his books like literary snack food. The writer was in his 20s, too, which probably has something to do with why I found his writing so addictively delicious. I can't say that Stephen King enlightened me or changed my worldview. Although I recognized that his work was a long way from great literature, the books were tasty. They rang my chimes.

At some point, in the 1980s, I stopped reading Stephen King books. I just got tired of dead pets, haunted cars and general weirdness as entertainment. I thought I'd outgrown King. I found other snack-reading authors, and