Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Digital Parents and Low-Tech Schools | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Digital Parents and Low-Tech Schools | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:

Digital Parents and Low-Tech Schools

Should I feel bad that I let my son watch age-appropriate education programs on TV and learn things like a second language?… Shame on me for letting my child play chess and math games on my iPad?…Is it really outrageous that I let my son sit on my lap in front of my computer so I could help him type his first love letter while in preschool?… When used appropriately with guidance, there’s nothing wrong with technology for kids.” Beth Lambert, New York City October 26, 2011

What triggered this parent’s letter to the editor of the New York Times was an article in the paper the previous week on a low-tech Waldorf school in Los Altos (CA) that bans high-tech devices for instruction until the 8th