Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Districts are still fearful of YouTube | Dangerously Irrelevant

Districts are still fearful of YouTube | Dangerously Irrelevant:

Districts are still fearful of YouTube

Irrelevant_20to_20Children_27s_20Futures.jpg

Yesterday it was Facebook. Today it's YouTube. Here's an email exchange between two district technology coordinators...

TC1: I have recently completely blocked youtube in our network. Does everyone block youtube? As soon as I blocked it, teachers started complaining. What other websites can they go to that will serve the same purpose as youtube?

TC2: It is blocked here as well!!! I know there is some good to it BUT it is my responsibility to monitor, block, etc. I do not have time to monitor students all day long every day of every week. We have a product called LanSchool and it is awesome. You can view every student that is logged on at any given time and can take over their computer and shut it down as well BUT I cannot do that every day all day long. The teachers