Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Candi's Blog: Why I Must Continue To Fight For Teachers

Candi's Blog: Why I Must Continue To Fight For Teachers

Why I Must Continue To Fight For Teachers


Written by Candi Peterson

As the General Vice President of the Washington Teachers’ Union (WTU) , I’ve seen my fair share of teacher terminations and adverse actions that have resulted in suspensions of teachers and school personnel. Many of the teacher terminations in the past three years stem from Rhee’s educational plan, which sought to get rid of a significant share of the DC teacher workforce. I’ve seen situations in which teachers were terminated without adequate investigations being conducted by DC Public Schools. Imagine being fired without being able to give your side of the story or have mitigating circumstances considered or pertinent witnesses interviewed. I’ve