Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 6, 2011

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: The Empire Strikes Back (or at least Lord Vader)

Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: The Empire Strikes Back (or at least Lord Vader)

The Empire Strikes Back (or at least Lord Vader)

It appears that Ron English, the interim General Counsel, is peeved over the Seattle Times' article about the sale of the MLK, Jr. building to First AME church.

He is asking the Times for a retraction and a copy of the audiotape of the interview with him.

I'm going to print the letter he wrote in full but I will note a couple of things upfront. One, Ron's a lawyer and he's no dummy. As someone who follows facilities and capital issues, I have my doubts about him but he definitely has a full grasp of the issues. Two, he's also a wily and resourceful guy. That his name keeps coming up in these scandals, well, he is a lawyer for the district but it seems like it happens an awful lot of the time.

Writing to one reporter he says this:

Ms.Kelleher,

Your article of June 6 is misleading and contains several factual mistakes about the process used to evaluate proposals for the sale of the Martin Luther King School.


First, you state that I could not remember why Bush did not get the building. That is not true. I specifically told you in your interview of me on May 16 that I recommended as Property Manager that The Bush School be sold