Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Joy of Summer Reading! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

The Joy of Summer Reading! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

The Joy of Summer Reading!


I went to the library today! I left, struggling with an armload of books by some of my favorite authors, Kellerman, Sanford, Block. I lovingly placed the books in the back of my car, envisioning myself on the couch, deck, gazebo, curled up with one of my books, lost in the story. I am also a Nook owner , but I love the feel of a book in my hand. I would read it at lunchtime, with only the light from my desk lamp illuminating each page. I relished those 20 minutes, lost in a book or my Nook.

As you might have guessed, I am an avid reader. I’m one of those people who writes Reading as their hobby. I was that kid, devouring a book, while the other kids played in the street. I’m the teacher, who reads in her dimly lit room, instead of eating in the Teacher’s Lounge.

I tried to pass my love of reading to my students. I managed to snag a few of them when I read “Series of Unfortunate Events” aloud. I also made a habit of giving them a little teaser of whatever I was reading at the time. But too many of