Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Divining Rod, or Rod of Discipline « InterACT

Divining Rod, or Rod of Discipline « InterACT

Divining Rod, or Rod of Discipline

Today’s ACT Guest Blogger is Alice Mercer, an ACT member and blogger from Sacramento. This post originally appeared at Reflections on Teaching.

ASCD

photo: David B. Cohen

This post is about the larger lessons I took from ASCD. What do I mean by this? Looking at a lot of school reform, programs, schools, ideas, and changes are offered as either a promise, or a threat. It’s this ugly mix of an appeal to avarice, and a fear of failure that I feel created the toxic mess that is the DCPS testing scandal. It wasn’t just that folks wanted to earn bonuses, they also feared being fired. This isn’t an original thought of my own, but was suggested to me by fellow Sacramento teacher, Lori Jablonski. This approach will never