Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 21, 2011

School Tech Connect: A Unique Opportunity

School Tech Connect: A Unique Opportunity

A Unique Opportunity

brazenly lifted from here
One of the most vexing periods of my life was very recently, in 2009, when it seemed like the public option was still a possibility. The president had been so forceful on the issue-- it was definitely a central theme of his candidacy and there was so much hope for progress.

But then they started to let the clock run out, and Rahm Emanuel basically dealt it away in favor of the bullshit "trigger" idea (Rahmreflexively supports laws with the word "trigger" in the title, no matter how terrible they are.) It's hard to find a public statement from Rahm that supports the idea of the public option; he was never behind it and he helped it die.

At the time, I believe I wrote, "If the president makes me buy health insurance from the same crooks who have been refusing to sell it to me, that will be the beginning of the end of the Democratic party."

Anyway, I bet we could have had a public option but the president decided to roll with Rahm. I would rather vote for a horse's ass than for Rahm Emanuel, and with Gery Chico's standing in the polls, I might just get the chance.