Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cary Nelson, "Ohio Is at War" #wisolidarity #wiunion #weac #OHEA

Cary Nelson, "Ohio Is at War"
Ohio Is at War
by Cary Nelson


Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Time: 1 PM
Location: Ohio Statehouse, 1 Capitol Square, Columbus, OH
Click here for more info.
From the vantage point of the pancaked fields of Illinois, it is easy to wax nostalgic about Ohio's rolling hills. I spent four years there as an undergraduate and for many years thereafter I returned for several months each year. But my decades of AAUP activism have added a new and more telling element to my fondness for the state: respect for Ohio's brand of faculty activism and union solidarity.

All this was first brought home to me when I spoke at the 25th anniversary of the AAUP collective bargaining chapter at theUniversity of Cincinnati years ago. The chapter's history, celebrated and retold, included the distinctive respect and affection across departments that faculty members forged during their union job actions