Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Skip the fruit cake, Target gift card and cookies. Just leave me my rights. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Skip the fruit cake, Target gift card and cookies. Just leave me my rights. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Skip the fruit cake, Target gift card and cookies. Just leave me my rights.

DECEMBER 23, 2010
by Fred Klonsky

Ever since I first became a teacher, my reaction to holiday gifts from students and their families has been decidedly mixed.

I would be a real jerk not to appreciate the thought.

I’m not. And I do.

Early on I would get lots of home-made baked good.

Iffy. Know what I mean?

But as the community changed and we got more working moms, the gifts changed to lots of gift cards. Target, Einstein’s, Starbucks (a lot of Starbucks) and even Seven Eleven.

I stop for coffee at Einstein’s every morning, so I use those. There’s a teacher in the building who will take some of the others to a homeless shelter. I think the idea of handing out Starbucks cards