Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Education, a new perspective | Dailycensored.com

Education, a new perspective | Dailycensored.com

Education, a new perspective

Perspective is an interesting concept. Where is the viewer relative to the vanishing point? Move one or the other and the image changes dramatically. I was moved this a.m. I was moved by a feature piece about new technology and how it is affecting the third world.

E-Readers were introduced to children in Ghana. Thanks to other technology, I was able to hear the children read. I was able to hear children, who don’t even have electricity, read well beyond whatever grade level they are in. Of course they were chosen because they could read, but the format—like children sitting in class, displayed how the children could all follow and pick up reading in mid-sentence from the previous reader when called upon. I remember this process from my own childhood.

The new perspective I got was that here there were children who wanted to read. It is doubtful that the children’s parents can read as well as their children, but we can be assured that they want their children to read. So how do these kids in Ghana do what kids here cannot? I doubt that the quality of instruction is the issue. I wish I could figure out how to put