Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 27, 2010

Musings of a teacher and school board member - Rocklin

Musings of a teacher and school board member - Rocklin
Musings of a teacher and school board member

I have a question. Why does California have both a State Superintendent elected by the voters, AND a Secretary of Education appointed by the Governor? It seems simple, but I have asked a lot of very smart people this very question, and not one had a good answer.

Governor-elect Brown hinted that Education cuts will make up a major part of his plan to fix the state’s budget shortfall.

I would like to add some perspective to this. I see our Education budget from many angles- as a parent of 2 school age kids (9th and 5th grade) as a teacher, (16 years teaching middle school mathematics) and from the perspective of a School Board Member.

As much as the California Teacher’s Association might not want to hear this, I do understand that Prop. 98 has not necessarily been a good thing for our state. In good times, California is required to spend a minimum percentage of the money it takes in on Public Education. Don’t get me wrong; I would love to see schools have