Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

PROPOSED RULES OF ENGAGEMENT – Dad Gone Wild

PROPOSED RULES OF ENGAGEMENT – Dad Gone Wild
PROPOSED RULES OF ENGAGEMENT


“Though [Abraham Lincoln] never would travel to Europe, he went with Shakespeare’s kings to Merry England; he went with Lord Byron poetry to Spain and Portugal. Literature allowed him to transcend his surroundings.”
― Doris Kearns Goodwin

 

When I first started bartending, it was drilled into my head that discussions around politics or religion were not welcome at a bar. It was advice I promptly ignored.

My happy hours were filled with spirited conversation around every conceivable subject, the one rule being that all must remain respectful. If someone couldn’t honor that, it would be they, and not the conversation that would be expelled.

I remember once observing a gentleman quietly sitting in the middle of the bar while talk raged all around him. He had a look of concentration on his face, but he wasn’t engaging with those in his space. Concerned, I asked him, “Everything ok?”

He broke out with a big smile, “Oh yea. I just love coming here, and sitting, and listening, to all the CONTINUE READING: PROPOSED RULES OF ENGAGEMENT – Dad Gone Wild