Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 27, 2021

I Fought the Do-Nothing-Incumbent, and He Won | gadflyonthewallblog

I Fought the Do-Nothing-Incumbent, and He Won | gadflyonthewallblog
I Fought the Do-Nothing-Incumbent, and He Won


The best candidate doesn’t always win.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from running for office, it’s that.

This spring, I ran for Allegheny County Council in the Pittsburgh region of Pennsylvania – and got my butt handed to me.

My opponent was a 15-year incumbent, a nominal Democrat known for doing next to nothing, and he promised to do the same upon re-election.

I am a public school teacher, activist and blogger who ran on change and getting things done – educationinfrastructure, transportation, jobs, justice.

Sounds like a slam dunk, right?

Wrong.

My opponent took majorities in nearly every community, nearly every ward or precinct. However, it was close in many of them. I even whipped him in a few places CONTINUE READING: I Fought the Do-Nothing-Incumbent, and He Won | gadflyonthewallblog