Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

There’s a Lesson for Educators in the Life of DMX - Philly's 7th Ward

There’s a Lesson for Educators in the Life of DMX - Philly's 7th Ward
THERE’S A LESSON FOR EDUCATORS IN THE LIFE OF DMX



Rest in peace to Mr. Earl Simmons, popularly known as DMX. I pray that his soul is at rest.

What fascinates me about the life of a person, particularly artists who become celebrities, are the events and moments that fueled the person they became. When I think of Earl Simmons and his untimely death, I can’t help but think of the adults who failed him.

In a society where personal hardships are blamed on a lack of responsibility; it is easy to blame Earl Simmons for his shortcomings and ultimately his own death. However, as an educator who works with children, I am accustomed to considering the nurture in tandem with the nature.

For me, the art of teaching isn’t only about the content. It is about using who that child is to teach the content. It means, I need to invest in my students; every one of them – even the students are thought to be lost causes by others.

Earl Simmons left us with many memorable songs, stories and prayers. He also left us with a window into his pain to understand the person he became. Sadly, I think back on a podcast where he revealed that he was tricked into a CONTINUE READING: There’s a Lesson for Educators in the Life of DMX - Philly's 7th Ward