Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

What It's Like Teaching On Zoom To Students I've Never Met, And Often Not Seen Or Heard | HuffPost

What It's Like Teaching On Zoom To Students I've Never Met, And Often Not Seen Or Heard | HuffPost
What It’s Like Teaching On Zoom To Students I’ve Never Met, And Often Not Seen Or Heard
“I do not know what my students sound or look like, as they rarely come off mute or turn their cameras on.”




I looked on the chat board and saw that one of my 7th-grade students had, once again, posted a picture of a McDonald’s meal. This meant that they needed a break and wanted to tell me about the Travis Scott meal at McDonalds.

Ms. Osman: What did you learn about the Travis Scott meal?

Student: Miss! This meal is craaazy. I heard that people are just going up to the window and telling the workers, “you know what I want.”  (poop emoji and laughing crying emoji)

Ms. Osman: How would the worker know what they want? 

Another student: Idk. But I don’t like Quarter Pounders. 

Student: I don’t like Big Macs In & Out’s better

I let a few more minutes of this go on. I’ve been trying to build in time for the students to chat with each other, especially since they haven’t seen their peers this whole year. This is a crucial part of the school experience, and as middle-schoolers, a time in their lives to learn how to properly socialize. It also allows me to get to know them as well. 

In history, 2020 will probably be remembered as the year of despair. Just in the U.S., hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost, millions are unemployed, and even getting to spend time with friends and family is severely limited (if even possible). 

One of the most affected areas has been education. Every community is handling schooling differently: Classes are in-person in some places, virtual in other areas, and CONTINUE READING: What It's Like Teaching On Zoom To Students I've Never Met, And Often Not Seen Or Heard | HuffPost