Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

It’s Easy To Mistake Engagement for Learning: Here’s How I Learned the Difference (Precious Boyle) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

It’s Easy To Mistake Engagement for Learning: Here’s How I Learned the Difference (Precious Boyle) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice
It’s Easy To Mistake Engagement for Learning: Here’s How I Learned the Difference (Precious Boyle)




Precious Boyle is the senior director of program strategy at Leading Educators, and has served as a teacher, teacher-leader, dean, and principal.”

This appeared in Leading Educators, Oct 27, 2020,

As a middle school social studies teacher, I took a lot of pride in coming up with ways to keep my students engaged. Like many teachers, I took those days when I could tell students were enjoying my class as a sign that my hard work and stress were worth it.

When planning, I would ask myself a simple question: “How would I want to learn about this if I were 11 or 12?” Of course, I spent time establishing routines for how class began, and paid attention to how students were responding so I could shift to my backup plan if necessary. But that central question generally led me to spending lots of time teaching with games and other activities that were fun for kids.

Then a classroom observation changed my life.

I had planned what I thought was a brilliant lesson that would feed my love for scrapbooking and get students to connect their learning about the early civilizations. I set up each table as a different cultural component of a civilization: government, geography, religion, economics, and education. There were magazines, research materials, colored pencils, scrapbooking paper, and CONTINUE READING: It’s Easy To Mistake Engagement for Learning: Here’s How I Learned the Difference (Precious Boyle) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice