Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 5, 2020

Teachers, Regardless of What Your President Says, Don't Whitewash History - Philly's 7th Ward

Teachers, Regardless of What Your President Says, Don't Whitewash History - Philly's 7th Ward

TEACHERS, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOUR PRESIDENT SAYS, DON’T WHITEWASH HISTORY




When I was first assigned to teach U.S. history nearly a decade ago during my second year as a social studies teacher, my first stop was to a Black-owned bookstore around the corner from where I taught. A month before the school year began, I had decided that I couldn’t use the old course textbook.
It was the same sort of Eurocentric textbook from which I was taught U.S. history as a student, focusing on the accomplishments of the English-speaking Western world while offering little to no acknowledgment of those oppressed by that same population. That textbook hadn’t reflected my history and heritage as a Black man, nor that of the predominately Black and Latinx students I was preparing to teach.
So at LaUnique African American Books and Culture Center, I purchased Africa’s Gift to America, a text written by historian Joel Augustus Rogers.
It was because of that text that my students learned about Crispus Attucks, the African American man who was the first colonist killed by British forces in the massacre that sparked the American Revolution. It was from this book CONTINUE READING: Teachers, Regardless of What Your President Says, Don't Whitewash History - Philly's 7th Ward