Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 28, 2020

The Awful Inhumanity of Life at NY’s Success Academy | deutsch29: Mercedes Schneider's Blog

The Awful Inhumanity of Life at NY’s Success Academy | deutsch29: Mercedes Schneider's Blog

The Awful Inhumanity of Life at NY’s Success Academy




Eva Moskowitz is a former NYC council woman who was chosen by hedge funders to operate a charter school chain in New York, Success Academy (SA).
Her authoritatian leadership produces high test scores (from “little test-taking machines”)– and high student and teacher attrition. 
 SA’s ever-percolating dysfunction has found expression on the Instagram site, @survivors_of_successacademy, described as “a place to anonymously share your experience of racism and/or mismanagement at Success Academy.”
Below are some entries detailing a twisted inhumanity at SA:
“On my last day at SA as an assistant, I fainted in the blocks room with my K kids. This was after a nonstop day, in the hot sun with them outside, and no lunch break besides trying to snack when I could sneak away to my bag really quick during the day. … My head teacher was annoyed I missed dismissal because I fainted. She realized it was bad when I needed my dad to pick me bc I wasn’t comfortable driving. I called the dean on the way home and quit.”
“In the 2018-19 school year, my leadership team made us keep scholars who had low grade fevers in school. I would call their parents and tell them we would ‘monitor’ the situation, even though SA guidelines are to have scholars with a fever  sent home. Only if the fever kept rising is when we would ask for them to [be] picked up. My direct manager, a business operations manager, made the main office switch from an in-ear thermometer to an orl thermometer because she thought the ear thermometer was giving inaccurate results. She then told us we couldn’t order the oral thermometer covers because it would make the readings higher. When we expressed to her how unhygienic that was, she told us to ‘wipe the thermometer with an alcohol pad after each use.'”
“[One of our teachers this year] wasn’t feeling well on a Wednesday and found out she had the flu. She was still asked to come in for the full day Thursday CONTINUE READING: The Awful Inhumanity of Life at NY’s Success Academy | deutsch29: Mercedes Schneider's Blog