Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 10, 2020

CURMUDGUCATION: A Robot Wrote An Article. I'm Not Concerned Yet.

CURMUDGUCATION: A Robot Wrote An Article. I'm Not Concerned Yet.

A Robot Wrote An Article. I'm Not Concerned Yet.



The tech world continues its attempts to build a computer that can do language. It's not easy, as witnessed by the fact that they still haven't succeeded. But then, we don't really know how the human brain does language, either.

The current leading construct for computer-generated English is GPT-3. It can do 175 billion parameters (its predecessor had 1.5 billion). It uses deep learning. It is the product of OpenAI, a for-profit outfit in San Francisco co-founded by Elon Musk. It "premiered" in May of this year and really hit the world in July. It is a third generation "language prediction model,: and you want to remember that phrase. And you can watch this video for a "layperson's explanation,"

People have been impressed. Here's a couple of paragraphs from a gushing Farhad Manjoo  review in the New York Times

I’ve never really worried that a computer might take my job because it’s never seemed remotely possible. Not infrequently, my phone thinks I meant to write the word “ducking.” A computer writing a newspaper column? That’ll be the day.

Well, writer friends, the day is nigh. This month, OpenAI, an artificial-intelligence research lab CONTINUE READING: 
CURMUDGUCATION: A Robot Wrote An Article. I'm Not Concerned Yet.