Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Why I'm OK with my kids "falling behind" in school during the pandemic | Salon.com

Why I'm OK with my kids "falling behind" in school during the pandemic | Salon.com

Why I'm OK with my kids "falling behind" in school during the pandemic
Even with our many privileges, the meritocracy is still a sham. Basic needs are taking priority over acing the SATs
If being born into Generation X ever gave me anything, it has been a lifetime of training in lowered expectations. And as we chaotically hurtle toward the start of a new school year in the midst of a still explosive health crisis, my slacker parenting technique has never been stronger.
Earlier this week, the New York Times ran a feature on a now all-too-familiar theme. "Worried your kid is falling behind?" the headline blared. "You're not alone." As the Times explained, "As kids start school with more online learning, parents wonder whether they'll ever catch up. Here's how to set them up for success." Granted, the article advised moms — surprise, no fathers were interviewed — on "creating fun, low-key learning opportunities," but the phrase "falling behind" nevertheless appeared three times in the body of the article. 
It was the same day my younger daughter's high school scheduled a virtual town hall to discuss plans for the new academic year. The school's invitation added, "This will help us in planning the most successful learning opportunities for your kids and providing you with what you need." 
There was that word again. Success. I've spent nearly two decades now shepherding my children from nursery school to university, and I have never gotten a satisfying answer to the basic question of how our educational system defines success. I sure as hell have even less of a concept of what constitutes success for our students right now. I only know that as far as I'm concerned, I believe what Bill Murray taught us in "Meatballs": It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter
A generation ago, I spent my third year of college in England, interning for a music weekly and trying not CONTINUE READING: Why I'm OK with my kids "falling behind" in school during the pandemic | Salon.com