Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 28, 2020

Confessions of a School Reformer (Part 6) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Confessions of a School Reformer (Part 6) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Confessions of a School Reformer (Part 6)



This is the last post of a series drawn from “Confessions of a School Reformer,” a book I am now writing. Parts 123, 4, and describe my entry into classroom teaching beginning in 1955 and ending in 1972.
In August 1968, no longer teaching at Roosevelt High School, I resigned from the full-time job I had at federal Commission on Civil Rights (CCR). No job did I have for 1968-1969.
Treading water
For the next few months, I was at home. With no more salary checks from either the DC schools or CCR, Barbara found a job as an administrative aide to a Rabbi at a nearby congregation. I stayed home with Sondra and Janice, walking them to school in the mornings, writing, doing household chores and making occasional dinners. I thought that with my name as an urban educator, an expert on multiethnic instructional materials, and author I could drum up sufficient business as a consultant to provide enough cash to cover monthly mortgage payments and expenses. I was wrong.
After sending out many letters advertising my talents and experiences, few requests dribbled in. Of those that came in, most asked me to speak or consult for free. My work on Scott Foresman textbooks brought in a few advances from the publisher. Between my paltry earnings and Barbara’s job we were just barely covering monthly expenses. Apart from worrying about money, I was thoroughly enjoying the time I spent with Barbara and my daughters.
Then in December, I heard from Associate Superintendent of Instruction, Norman Nickens of the DC schools that he wanted to see me. I had gotten to know Nickens when I directed the Cardozo Project and he headed the Model CONTINUE READING: Confessions of a School Reformer (Part 6) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice