Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 31, 2020

How can I write about Carranza’s latest mistake when they come so fast? | JD2718

How can I write about Carranza’s latest mistake when they come so fast? | JD2718

How can I write about Carranza’s latest mistake when they come so fast?



The DoE has an idea of what schools should do when there’s a COVID case.
I wasn’t going to write about that. I was going to write about blended learning (‘hybrid schemes”) and remote learning. I was going to compare them. I was going to explain that there was almost no advantage to hybrid, and many disadvantages. I was going to beg, please let us move onto planning remote teaching, let us plan, let us figure out how to do better than the spring, let the schedulers make schedules that work… I was going to demand again that Michael Mulgrew walk back these dumb, counterproductive words: “We believe a blended learning model, with students in class on some days and remote on others, balances our safety concerns with the need to bring students back.”
But no, I’m not going there. Not today. Richard Carranza had other ideas.
He was supposed to have a meeting with principals about the calendar. We don’t have a calendar yet for the year. We don’t even know the first day. September 10? 17? 21? 24? 28? October 1? October 5? I should be selling boxes. Could still do it, since he moved his morning meeting to 4 in the afternoon, and then skipped the calendar issue altogether. 
Carranza talked about whaat to do if there were a COVID case. He described a quarantine procedure for elementary schools.
He didn’t actually say elementary schools. But he described described small groups of students, with one CONTINUE READING: How can I write about Carranza’s latest mistake when they come so fast? | JD2718