Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 28, 2020

David Berliner: Kids Missing School? Don’t Worry. | Diane Ravitch's blog

David Berliner: Kids Missing School? Don’t Worry. | Diane Ravitch's blog

David Berliner: Kids Missing School? Don’t Worry.


David Berliner, one of our nation’s most eminent researchers, advises parents not to worry that their children are “falling behind.” School is important. Instruction is important. But “soft skills” and non—cognitive skills matter more in the long term than academic skills. Relax.
He sent this advice to the blog:
Worried About Those “Big” Losses on School Tests Because Of Extended Stays At Home? They May Not Even Happen,
And If They Do, They May Not Matter Much At All!
David C. Berliner
Regents Professor Emeritus
Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ.
Although my mother passed away many years ago, I need now to make a public confession about a crime she committed year in and year out. When I was young, she prevented me from obtaining one year of public schooling. Surely that must be a crime!
Let me explain. Every year my mother took me out of school for three full weeks following the Memorial Day CONTINUE READING: David Berliner: Kids Missing School? Don’t Worry. | Diane Ravitch's blog