Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Some Remainders From the "Moving from Equality to Equity and Justice" Workshop for NCTM | The Jose Vilson

Some Remainders From the "Moving from Equality to Equity and Justice" Workshop for NCTM | The Jose Vilson

SOME REMAINDERS FROM THE “MOVING FROM EQUALITY TO EQUITY AND JUSTICE” WORKSHOP FOR NCTM


If you’d like to watch the video, you gotta go to them. Thanks to the 800+ of you who attended and the other 3000+ of you who’ve watched it afterward. I’m so deeply appreciative. Some thoughts about this work.



Last year, I set to elevate a conversation about belonging within the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. For almost a decade, I felt like NCTM didn’t belong to me, but to other people who saw themselves as mathematicians in classrooms. I also recognize that education has sought to center the equity conversation more intentionally lately, even if the conversation only swims on the shallow end of the pool. At some point, I also sought to change the math conversation from “How can we make sure kids learn math” to “How can we include more ways of knowing math?” That explicitly asks us to push past exclusive narratives of what a good math student looks like, but also includes narratives of what a good math teacher looks like.
Sometimes, people adhere to the stereotypes because it comforts their own identity and allows them to enforce the gates.
After last year’s keynote, I had some good conversations, specifically with Dr. Imani Goffney about math and this work. I won’t go in-depth into our conversation, but when I endeavored on proposing this workshop, I wanted folks to get a few lessons that would last them for their careers: CONTINUE READING: Some Remainders From the "Moving from Equality to Equity and Justice" Workshop for NCTM | The Jose Vilson