Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 20, 2020

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007


SPECIAL CORONAVIRUS UPDATE
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... 
The latest news and resources in education since 2007


It’s Patriots’ Day – Here Are Teaching & Learning Resources About The American Revolution

272447 / Pixabay It’s Patriots’ Day : Patriots’ Day is an annual event, formalized as several state holidays , commemorating the Battles of Lexington and Concord , and the Battle of Menotomy , the first battles of the American Revolutionary War . I don’t actually have a specific Revolutionary War “Best” list. However, I have several posts about it filled with resources I use in my ELL US History
“All Classroom Q&A Posts on the Coronavirus Crisis”

All Classroom Q&A Posts on the Coronavirus Crisis is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. You can find links here to all Classroom Q&A posts related to supporting teachers, students, and parents during the school closure crisis. I’m adding it to THE “BEST OF THE BEST” RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS DEALING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES .

YESTERDAY

Video: Here’s An Example Of My Daily Online Lesson For ELL Newcomers

GraphicMama-team / Pixabay Regular readers know that I’ve been teaching a daily half-hour live class to my ELL Newcomer class (see Here’s What I’m Trying Out In My Daily Thirty-Minute Live Online Newcomers Class ). I also record the main parts of the lesson separately and post it on Google Classroom. Students who miss the lesson can watch it there, and they can also re-watch it to help them with
“Visualization of ‘7 Tips for Parents Supporting Remote Learning'”

Visualization of ‘7 Tips for Parents Supporting Remote Learning’ is the headline of my latest Education Week Teacher column. Teacher Wendi Pillars shares a visual illustration of the points made in my video, “7 Tips for Parents Supporting Remote Learning.’
A Guide To The Best Teaching & Learning Resources On This Blog

Jon Tyson Readership of this blog has more than doubled over the past few weeks, as has readership of my Ed Week Teacher column. I’ve been posting here for over thirteen years, and the resources can sometimes appear overwhelming. Newer readers might find this post useful: The “All-Time” Best Teaching & Learning Resources Available On This Blog
Study Finds Writing In Content Enhances Learning, As Long As It Is A Specific Kind of “Writing-to-Learn”

The Effects of Writing on Learning in Science, Social Studies, and Mathematics: A Meta-Analysis is a new study by Steve Graham, , Sharlene A. Kiuhara, and Meade MacKay. The quote in the text box at the top of this post summarizes their findings, but what I think is most important is the kind of writing they included in their meta-analysis. It’s what they called “writing-to-learn” activities. Keep
Pins Of The Week

I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 21,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2019 Here

APR 18

Most Popular Posts Of The Week

I’m making a change in the content of the regular feature. In addition to sharing the top five posts that have received the most “hits” in the preceding seven days (though they may have originally been published on an earlier date), I will also include the top five posts that have actually appeared in the past week. Often, these are different posts. You might also be interested in IT’S THE THIRTE
This Week’s Resources To Support Teachers Coping With School Closures

Wokandapix / Pixabay I have a number of regular weekly features (see HERE IS A LIST (WITH LINKS) OF ALL MY REGULAR WEEKLY FEATURES ). It’s time for a new addition to that list, and this post introduces a weekly compilation of new and good resources to support those of us dealing with school closures. Some will be added to The Best Advice On Teaching K-12 Online (If We Have To Because Of The Coron
Video: Dylan Wiliam On “What formative assessment is and isn’t”

It might just be me, but I prefer my videos to be ten minutes or less. This new Dylan Wiliam video lasts sixteen minutes, but it’s well-worth watching. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About Formative Assessment .
Harriet Voices The Feelings Of All Of Us Teachers These Days

Check out this cute video:
Video: “Earth Day 1970 – 2020: 50th Anniversary”

purwakawebid / Pixabay I’m adding this new video from the American Museum of Natural History to The Best Earth Day Sites :


Join Me On April 30th For A Webinar On “Distance Learning & ELLs: What Have We Learned So Far?”

DarkWorkX / Pixabay I do lots of professional development sessions for our school, but I don’t often do webinars or professional development elsewhere because of all my teaching and writing commitments (and my usual 
Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007