Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 6, 2020

Final Office Hours* | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Final Office Hours* | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Final Office Hours*


By the end of June, I have to move out of my office in Cubberley.
I retired from the Graduate School of Education in 2001 and since then GSE has allotted offices in one of the two education buildings on campus to retired professors who, like myself, are located in Cubberley (named after a long-tenured dean and benefactor). I see occasional students, use the library located on the third floor, keep books and papers–yes in those metal-gray four-drawer file cases–and read.
The importance of office hours in my career as a professor
After a quarter-century of work in public schools as a teacher and administrator, I came to the GSE in 1981.
Being a tenured professor is a privileged position. Especially at an elite university at a time when recently-minted Ph.Ds getting tenure-line offers has shrunk dramatically and part-time instructors and adjunct posts have mushroomed across higher education.
Compared to being a high school teacher with five daily classes of 50-minutes each, the teaching load is light. I had to teach four courses a year. For each CONTINUE READING: Final Office Hours* | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice