Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience – radical eyes for equity

Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience – radical eyes for equity

Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience


I am deeply indebted to the academic and personal kindness and mentoring afforded me during my undergraduate education by one of my English professors, Dr. Nancy Moore.
Dr. Moore combined an admirable ability to challenge students academically while also being sincerely supportive and encouraging. I probably did not need or even deserve her praise, but Dr. Moore always made me feel like a successful student, budding scholar, and most of all, credible writer.
She was one of the first people to treat me as a poet, inviting me to read and share my work in various settings.
But I also recall that she regularly chided me about my literary affections, warning me that I would grow out of some of my favorite authors. Part of that rested on one of my proclivities for authors who dwelled on innocence, such as J.D. Salinger and e.e. cummings.
While my literary tastes have in fact changed and even matured (in the sense that my critical sensibilities are sharper as I have aged), as I am staring down the barrel of turning 60, I remain deeply drawn still to the poetry of cummings, even as my discomfort with him as a person has grown with each biography I read.
This blog post title refers directly to William Blake’s major poetry collection that remains also a favorite of mine since it captures why these works still resonate with me; the tension between innocence/youth and CONTINUE READING: Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience – radical eyes for equity