Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Education Reform De-professionalizes Women Educators – radical eyes for equity

Education Reform De-professionalizes Women Educators – radical eyes for equity

Education Reform De-professionalizes Women Educators

Who were your teachers?
In elementary school, nearly 9 of 10 teachers are women; by high school, about 6 of 10 are women. And nearly all of your teachers, 80%, were white (see NCES data).
As a student and a teacher, then, I have spent a great deal of my life in spaces where women are the overwhelmingly majority; often I am the only man in the room.
Recently, while I was presenting at two education conferences (South Carolina Council of Teachers of English and Wisconsin State Reading Association), I had several important experiences with recognizing teaching as a profession constituted by mostly women.
At SCCTE, I attended a session led by SC for Ed, making eye contact with one of the organization’s leaders at one point in recognition that I was the only man in the room. This session was on teacher activism and the need to inform state legislators about education while the state considers a major education bill.
As the discussion focused on many of the state representatives being condescending, I offered to the group that many of the problems faced in CONTINUE READING: Education Reform De-professionalizes Women Educators – radical eyes for equity