Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 19, 2020

NYC Educator: Bernie Sanders for President

NYC Educator: Bernie Sanders for President

Bernie Sanders for President




I'm tired of all the squabbling over electabily. Four years ago, I was lectured endlessly on it by all sorts of people. We have to get behind Hillary because she's electable. I voted for her against Donald Trump, but as far as I'm concerned, she wasn't quite electable enough. If she were, she'd be President. And I still hear from the same people that we need to select someone "centrist." This means, essentially, someone who hasn't got radical ideas about giving all Americans health care, a living wage, accessibility to free higher education, and the ability to unionize.

Four years ago, millions of people decided Hillary was just more of the same and stayed home. While Obama didn't fully champion any of the above "radical" ideas, he at least pretended to and ran on hope and change. Hillary said we'd never, ever get single payer health care, and that free college would mean Trump's kids wouldn't pay. In fact, "centrist" Mayor Pete is out making the same Trump's kids argument.

I voted for Bernie Sanders in the primary four years ago and I will vote for him in the next primary too. Bernie has been consistent in his ideology and ideas for the most part, and has improved dramatically in his notions about K-12. I understand that, to get things done, we need to dump the GOP Senate as well, but I think that can be done too.

When Obama had a blue Senate, he failed to accomplish several things he'd promised. For one thing there is no public option in Obamacare. Were there one, it might leave private insurers unable to compete. I'd be good with that. Lots of people ask what about the jobs lost. I'm not precisely broken-hearted over losing jobs devoted to finding ways to deny Americans the health care they need. Maybe we could retrain them to do jobs that serve people, as opposed to denying them. Maybe they could be teachers. Lord knows we need CONTINUE READING: 
NYC Educator: Bernie Sanders for President