Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 13, 2019

It's Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... A VERY BUSY DAY | The latest news and resources in education since 2007

Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... | The latest news and resources in education since 2007



It's Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... A VERY BUSY DAY | The latest news and resources in education since 2007



Google’s New “Interpreter Mode” Makes It Easier For Teachers & Parents To Talk If They Don’t Speak Each Other’s Languages
Google has just added what they call “Interpreter Mode” to the mobile Google Assistant app. Download the free app, say something like “Be my Spanish translator,” and it will automatically translate in writing and in audio what you say in English to Spanish, and then what the other person says in Spanish into English. It can do this in forty-four languages. Obviously, the translation is not even n

YESTERDAY

“What Can Teachers Do to Highlight Student Assets & Not Their Deficits?”
What Can Teachers Do to Highlight Student Assets & Not Their Deficits? is the new question-of-the-week at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave responses in the comments section there or here…
A Look Back: Not Sure If You’ll Find A Better Guide For Making Good Presentations Than This One….
I’m beginning to republish posts that made it onto my A LOOK BACK: 2019’S BEST POSTS FROM THIS BLOG – PART TWO list. There are a lot of good guides out there for how to speak in public, and you can find many of them at The Best Sources Of Advice For Making Good Presentations . I’m not sure, though, if you’re going to find a better one – for teachers or for students – than the recent Harvard Busin
A Beginning List Of The Best “Test-Prep” Ideas For California’s English Language Assessment
eslfuntaiwan / Pixabay Early next year schools around California will begin administering the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) , which must be given to all English Language Learners . Though I am no stranger to ethical test prep for standardized tests (see Best Posts On How To Prepare For Standardized Tests (And Why They’re Bad) and, in particular, my article on “Et
Pins Of The Week
I’m fairly active on Pinterest and, in fact, have curated 20,000 resources there that I haven’t shared on this blog. I thought readers might find it useful if I began sharing a handful of my most recent “pins” each week (I’m not sure if you can see them through an RSS Reader – you might have to click through to the original post). You might also be interested in MY MOST POPULAR PINS OF 2019 The f
Video: Trailer For Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “In The Heights” Looks Terrific
geralt / Pixabay The trailer for Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “In The Heights” came out today, and it looks terrific! It’s coming out in June. I was lucky enough to see a great stage production of it earlier this year. You might also be interested in The Best Teaching/Learning Resources On The Musical, “Hamilton”
My Latest BAM! Radio Show Is On Using Writing To Support Reading Instruction
Double Dipping: Using Writing to Support Reading and Reading to Support Writing is the title of my latest ten-minute BAM! Radio Show. I’m joined by Mary Beth Niklaus, Tony Zani and Mary Tedrow, who have all contributed written