Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

ONE PARENT’S VOICE ON SCHOOL CHOICE « Dad Gone Wild

ONE PARENT’S VOICE ON SCHOOL CHOICE « Dad Gone Wild:

ONE PARENT’S VOICE ON SCHOOL CHOICE 

Image result for ONE PARENT’S VOICE
I started this blog some four years ago due to encouragement and inspiration by a blogger named Crazy Crawfish. Crazy would say, I’m not the smartest man in the room but my job is to make enough noise to get the smartest people possible in to the room to start having a real convesation about the issues. I’ve always aspired for this blog to be a similar tool. In ordere to have a real conversation, you need to have as many perspectives as possible. Education policy discussions tend to produce a lot of tshirt slogans while in reality things are much more nuanced then they appear. Over the years I’ve been blessed to have readers share their experiences with me. Which might actually be the best part of doing this blog. When given permission, I try to share. These are the words of Aidan Hoyal, a parent brave enough and kind enough to give us insight into her families education decision making process. In my opinion, hearing people’s stories is critical to making good policy. So thank you Aidan for allowing me to share and all of you please take these words in the spirit they are shared. We may not agree but remember all of our experiences are not identical.
Disclaimer: I am a parent. I don’t work for a school or a school board or school district. I taught Spanish for a long time, but not K-12. These opinions are my own.
*********************************************
“One Parent’s Voice on School Choice”
The dialogue around school choice in Nashville needs to include more parent and student voices. The discussion about charter schools has become so polarized that it sometimes seems completely divorced from the realities faced by Nashville families. As a parent who opted for a charter school, I am by definition a “charter ONE PARENT’S VOICE ON SCHOOL CHOICE « Dad Gone Wild:
Image result for big education ape parents can