Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 15, 2017

CURMUDGUCATION: Who's The Boss?

CURMUDGUCATION: Who's The Boss?:

Who's The Boss?


When someone tells you who they are, listen to them.

Representative Markwayne Mullin (Rep-OK) told his constituents a great deal this week, when in a town hall meeting he said this:


You say you pay for me to do this. Bullcrap. I pay for myself. I paid enough taxes before I got there and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go.

And as a follow-up--

I’m just saying this is a service for me, not a career, and I thank God this is not how I make my living.

On the one hand, Mullin's point seems to be that he's not a professional politician and doesn't have to kiss a bunch of Oklahoma ass just to keep his cushy job. On the other hand, exactly who is he working for?*

Mullins has an interesting backstory-- he's one of two Native Americans in Congress (Cherokee Nation), a pentecostal, and a former mixed martial arts fighter. He once hosted a radio talk show about construction and fixing stuff up.

Other parts of his story are garden-variety rich kid fare. He took over his father's plumbing business (actually a conglomerate of several businesses). He railed against the Recovery Act in 2009, but his business accepted $370K in stimulus funds. In 2012, he won a six-way primary, followed by a run-off, to ultimate recapture a former Dem seat for the GOP.

So when he suggests that his Congressional salary is not how he makes his living, or that he's just 
CURMUDGUCATION: Who's The Boss?: