Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 16, 2017

A Portrait of the Artist as Activist: “in the sunlit prison of the American dream” | radical eyes for equity

A Portrait of the Artist as Activist: “in the sunlit prison of the American dream” | radical eyes for equity:

A Portrait of the Artist as Activist: “in the sunlit prison of the American dream”

Image result for letter from birmingham jail


Standing in Starbucks a few days ago, just a couple weeks after I discovered honey in the sweetener and creamer station, I was peeling open a packet of honey when three lines came to me:
we rape the bees
because they are sweet
because we can
My poet-self writes this way; lines come to me, and I usually type them into Notes on my iPhone and email that to myself to work on when I have time.
Driving to my university office, I rehearsed those lines over and over, priming myself for the rest of the poem to appear—to reveal itself to me.
As a poet, I am often asking myself and the lines that come: What is this about?
I have preferred honey over processed sugar as a sweetener for about three decades, but over the last year, I discovered that among vegans, eating honey is a serious debate; many vegans do not eat honey.
It is a matter of consent.