Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Let's Unpresident Trump [The Progressive] | The Jose Vilson

Let's Unpresident Trump [The Progressive] | The Jose Vilson:

Let’s Unpresident Trump [The Progressive]


I’ve been on a writing tear in the last week or so. The first is a piece I did for the Progressive, reflecting on the incoming President-elect. Here’s some of the post:
Forget fear in classrooms. My students were texting their parents and siblings at home to make sure there’s a back-up plan in case of danger. My students, who come from different racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, understand that there are no safe spaces. The election of Trump has only solidified the reality of a hateful America I had seen burgeoning after President Obama’s election. I mean the trolls who popped up in my mentions on Twitter after people like Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, and Eric Garner became hashtags. They were also the judges, juries, and district attorneys who didn’t press charges and acquitted people like Daniel Panteleo, Daniel Wilson, and, most recently, Michael Slager. They were the fifth of American Federation of Teachers’ members and third of National Education Association members who deeply resented Randi Weingarten and Lily Eskelsen-Garcia’s enthusiasm for Secretary Clinton.
They were the voters who saw my students and our futures as expendable.
For more, please read and let me know what you think. I appreciate y’all. More to come soon.

About Jose Vilson

José Luis Vilson is a math educator, blogger, speaker, and activist. For more of my writing, buy my book This Is Not A Test: A New Narrative on Race, Class, and Education, on sale now.