Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Wisconsin's mandatory Civics test: State mandated racism by omission. | BustED Pencils

Wisconsin's mandatory Civics test: State mandated racism by omission. | BustED Pencils:

Wisconsin’s mandatory Civics test: State mandated racism by omission.

White-outWEBSITE


 A few months ago I wrote about about opting out of the new “mandatory” civics test that recently became a graduation requirement in Wisconsin.  Remember, this is the test that  Representative James “Jimmy Boy” Edming thought was “a good idea.”  I also went onCapital City Sunday with Representative Terese Berceau to talk about the problems associated with mandatory graduation requirements and to promote an opt out movement against this new test.

However, it is clear to me now that the opt out movement I tried to start failed miserably—and I now know why. This is not an opt out movement against a misguided graduation requirement backed by a simple minded political hack with little to no understanding of real teaching and learning.  This is not an opt out against one more test.  This is an opt out of state sanctioned racism and the structural implementation of a exclusively Eurocentric view of America.
How can I make such a claim?  Simple.  I look at what is NOT required for graduation.