Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 31, 2016

*Will Donald Trump Deport Me?* And Other Questions from My Nine-Year-Old Students | EduShyster

*Will Donald Trump Deport Me?* And Other Questions from My Nine-Year-Old Students | EduShyster:

*Will Donald Trump Deport Me?* And Other Questions from My Nine-Year-Old Students

A student teacher reflects on what her fourth grade students are learning from Donald Trump…

Trump


By Mary Sypek

 *Ms. Sypek, what do you think of Donald Trump?* Karim asks. I quickly scramble around in my mind, trying to think of an answer that’s both diplomatic and clear. *I don’t really like Donald Trump,* is what I decide to say, to which he promptly responds, *I don’t like Donald Trump either.* I exhale, hoping I have managed to escape the topic of Trump without too much of a hassle. I am wrong.

It’s literacy time in Ms. Smith’s fourth grade classroom. Students are working wih partners and in small groups to read nonfiction books about the US government, and I am working with four struggling readers in our classroom. I am a student teacher at an urban public school in one of the most diverse cities in Massachusetts. In our classroom of 26, we represent 22 countries.
Our short nonfiction piece is from a book called Meet the United States Democracy, and *Will Donald Trump Deport Me?* And Other Questions from My Nine-Year-Old Students | EduShyster: