Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 16, 2016

What it’s like to teach at Detroit Public Schools

What it’s like to teach at Detroit Public Schools:

What it’s like to teach at Detroit Public Schools

In the wake of dozens of teacher sick-outs at Detroit Public Schools last week, here are two takes from teachers on the conditions at DPS and what they seek on the conditions at DPS and what teachers seek:
Detroit parents trust me every day with their children. I feel that I owe them an apology. I apologize because I should have stood up. I kept quiet as our schools were dismantled. I didn’t protest in the streets when they put our schools in state control. I said nothing when they took our democracy. I should be ashamed of myself. I won’t sit quiet any longer.
Parents heard in news about how I don’t care about the students, that taking days for sick-outs is selfish of teachers. I agree I have been selfish, but it was my inaction that was selfish. It was me sitting in my position of authority in the lives of children and doing nothing to protect them.
What makes me fighting mad is that our children are learning in an environment that is in total chaos. I am sending a message to Michigan politicians that they must sit at the table and legislate to come up with a solution to the financial crisis that they caused. I am fighting for supplies, art, music, gym, recess space, proper maintenance, clean buildings, safe buildings, interpreters, support staff, quality food programs, class size, democracy.
Sarah Jardine
Teacher of adapted physical education for students with autism at Detroit Public Schools
Recently, Detroit Public Schools emergency manager Darnell Early described the actions of protesting teachers as “unethical.” I’m curious, then, how he would characterize the learning conditions of the children in Detroit Public Schools that have existed for years. These deplorable learning conditions happen to also be the What it’s like to teach at Detroit Public Schools: