Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 14, 2016

CURMUDGUCATION: ESSA Accountability: Part II (P.S. Mike)

CURMUDGUCATION: ESSA Accountability: Part II (P.S. Mike):

ESSA Accountability: Part II (P.S. Mike)



Almost as soon as my head hit the pillow, I realized that I had left out an important part of my accountability plan. You can read the first part of this wonkery here-- now for the addendum (hey-- I've already shown that I'm a scofflaw, so why not blow through the 2,000 word limit for submissions)

I don't know where this fits, but for accountability we need full and open school audits.

Visits from a team that includes folks from the state capital and working educators. They will visit the school, have free rein to walk in and out of any classroom, to examine records, curriculum, watch teachers in action, interview students and faculty and parents.

I fully agree that "Just take our word for it" is not an accountability system. Neither is "Prove yourself with paperwork." You want to see if somebody is doing their job-- go look.

The audit team visits for a week and makes an evaluation of the school's strength and weaknesses, creating a full description of the school's impact on children and the state of the children it is serving. Look at all the items mentioned in the first part of the proposal, including student health and well-being, breadth and depth of programs, effectiveness of the staff, degree to which school is meeting the needs of the children and community.

Response to First Replies

Imagine my delight to wake up this morning and find my plan had already been looked at. I can 
CURMUDGUCATION: ESSA Accountability: Part II (P.S. Mike):